Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Finally...Geometry! *See Disclaimer

Well it's been a while!

Geometry
So today I finally looked at the syllabus for my MGMAT class and saw... GEOMETRY!  This is probably my favorite topic in all of the Quant topics.  Unfortunately, I don't anticipate seeing many geometry problems on the exam.  For some reason these just aren't tested as much as number properties and the like.  Damn GMAT makers... can't make my life easy can they?

So I only did 2 chapters in the Geometry study guide tonight.  The two chapters were Polygons and Triangles.  Out of the 30 or so MGMAT problems, I got 2 wrong.  Now I know these are easy topics but I didn't even struggle or have to go back and look in the chapter to see formulas or anything.  Now I will say that last summer I bought a geometry book and went through half of it so that definitely has something to do with it.  But I don't know... geometry is fun to me.  Which is where the disclaimer comes in and might be my achilles heel.  (sidenote - I've used that achilles heel analogy twice today along with "work me over" - don't ask)

*If by some chance I encounter a Geometry problem that is uber difficult, I may want to spend too much time on it, thinking I can solve it.  After my MGMAT class it won't make too much sense for me to spend TOO much time going over geometry problems because there are more important topics that I will DEFINITELY see.


Studying


After talking to my GMAT junkie friend Brandon - you guys know him as Osirus, I've developed a plan for my post MGMAT studying.  I need/want to take a practice CAT Exam every weekend up until I take my test.  I'm going to start this regimen the Sunday after my visit to Dartmouth Tuck (2 weeks baby!)

I've realized that the way the MGMAT class is taught is the opposite of the way that I would learn the material the best.  For example:

MGMAT way to teach Quant topics is for us to:
Go through the Study Guide material... Go to class and learn the study guide...go home and do Official Guide problems

My ideal way to learn Quant topics is to:
Go to class and learn the study guide material ...go home and go through the study guide... do Official Guide problems

MGMAT way to teach Verbal topics is for us to:
Go to class and learn the study guide material...go home and go through the study guide...do Official Guide problems

My ideal way to learn Verbal topics is to:
Go through the study guide material...go to class and learn the study guide material...go home and do Official Guide problems.

Combinatorics


So for those of you who don't know - which is probably everyone - I play in our corporate volleyball league.  We were undefeated for a while until we had an addition to our team as some other people stopped showing up.  I quickly learned that there are specifically two people on the team who cannot be near each other in the rotation because...well...  "You are the weakest link... Good Bye."  I was sitting at my computer at work the other day and I thought of a combinatorics questions...how nerdy right?  So here's the question:


There are 8 players on a volleyball game.  6 players are allowed on the court at one time.  2 players cannot be by each other in the rotation.  How many different ways are there to start off the game?


Now I will say that we had another game tonight, and low and behold, no one listened to their Co-Captain = Yours Truly, and they allowed the two weakest links to be near each other... and we lost 2 of the three matches.  I will admit that I started overstepping my "coverage area" in the last match because I can't stand losing and when it comes down to it I'm going to get the ball over the net more often than some others.  Just look at the stats.

My friends are still waiting on HBS and Stanford.... BUT i found out that one of my friends was accepted to Michigan Ross.  Phenomenal!

That's all Folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012 · museodeartecarrillogil , All rights reserved | Proudly Powered by