Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What sound does a 680 make?!

So R2 decisions are trickling in... fortunately I am not in the group of those who are finding out.  I have two friends with great profiles who scored 680's on their GMATs and have been Dinged.  All together my two friends have been dinged from Columbia, Dartmouth (that one even hurt me), UVa, and Michigan.  One is still waiting on NYU, Wharton, and HBS.  The other is waiting on I believe HBS, Yale, and NYU.  He has an interview with Stanford and Wharton coming up...so we shall see...

I'm beginning to think that the sound that 680 makes is Ding Ding... it's disheartening to live vicariously through your friends anticipating their joy in saying that they've been accepted to only have them tell you they've been dinged.  Sidenote: why do they call it being Dinged?  I mean it does sound better than "i was rejected." but I'm not sure where it came from.

Maybe I'm underestimating the importance of the GMAT score or maybe some friends have set their sights very high. I think it's natural to want to aim high, but at what cost, when you've narrowed down your list so far that there's nothing left?

So tonight I'm beginning to think... is this even possible?  My friend being rejected from Tuck was a wake up call for me because I was sure he would get in.  He went there for undergrad...worked for a great company in the midwest... had an average GPA... and applied through the Consortium.  I spoke to him and he reiterated that there is a science to it all.  He also reminded me to not underestimate the factor of COMPETITION.  I tend to think I'm the only one with my profile out there and that just is not the case.  AT ALL... maybe after I get in somewhere I'll tell you guys all my stats haha... or how about after I submit all of my applications?  Yeah, I'll do that...

On another note:  I had my 6th MGMAT class today and I have advice for you guys out there debating on whether or not to take the in-person class.  I can only speak about MGMAT but I find that there are people in the class who may be taking A prep class for the 2nd time.  I'm all for people answering questions and being outspoken and what not during class, because lord knows I participate.  BUT - if I were to take the class a second time... I would not answer every question the instructor asks the class.  I find this simply rude... ok great you took the class before... if you knew the answers the first time you wouldn't have had to take it again.. maintain grasshopper maintain (what movie is that quote from?)

If you can answer the question in the same exact language the instructor would have then shut your trap because you're irritating.  How are the rest of us supposed to deduce the answer if you've already vocalized it?  So I say this to everyone... DON'T BE THAT PERSON!  We've all paid a lot of money to learn and sometimes we need to struggle with something in our heads first before learning the correct way to do something.  at the very least... sit tight and see if anyone else can come up with the correct answer - then if there's dead air - chime in!  Get it?  Got it? Good?

That being said... we did Combinatorics & Probabilities tonight... good gracious nonsensical what are you talking about?  Actually, after the instructor went through it, I got the hang of it. I came home and did some OG problems and did better than I though I would have.  It's funny (not really) because I can do the harder questions... it's the simpler ones that are tripping me up!  wtf is that about?  who knows?

I'm going to be taking my second CAT exam this Saturday.  My goal break 600.  If I get in the low 600's I'll be content for the time being, considering I feel lost with all of the math.  I hope it's a function of MGMAT teaching quant at a higher level.  It has to be right?  I mean if I got my first CAT score of 590 without having done any prior work... you would think I would be able to get 600-620 on the second one.

I know some people may say, why are you aiming so low?  Well...at the point when you sit down for the exam can you really AIM for a higher score or do you just take it and hope that your previous knowledge kicks in?  Of course I'll be happy with a 700, but honestly... the level I'm at now... if I get a 700 on the practice exam then there's something wrong with the algorithm!

Tomorrow's post will be good... I have some other things to update people on that transpired today, but I think that's all for tonight.  Tomorrow will be much better because I'll also have to transcribe my notes from my call with a Tuck student.

Ciao Bello/a

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012 · museodeartecarrillogil , All rights reserved | Proudly Powered by