Thursday, February 25, 2010

Chicago...Play or Motion Picture

Good 'evening' folks!

Competition Update

I have been at a loss with all of my "free" time that I now have.  Why do I have free time you ask? (although no one is probably asking because you know).. but for those who don't know a lot of my time two weeks ago was taken up from posting on BeatTheGMAT.com (will be known as BTG from here on out).  The results are official now and I was one of the winners...  I kid you not!


I was on hiatus for a short while because I needed to decompress from averaging 30 posts/day, but I'm back to posting now albeit not as frequently.  

You will all hear about the prize that I chose probably until I get into B-school... but I would like to speak about a tertiary prize.  If you've been following my blog this whole time you probably remember when I had the lead... didn't have the lead... regained the lead... lost it... gained it back...  let it go... you get the idea.  It actually didn't happen that many times, but for effect it did!  Anyway... there was one specific time when someone with the username Osirus took the lead, and held it for a while, when I said that I didn't mind him or her (at that point) being in first.  I didn't know the meaning of that post until going back and re-reading my posts, and looking at where I am now...

Osirus and started sending private messages back and forth daily.  The posts ranged from basically introductions -> talking about future plans post MBA.  It got to the point where my cellphone on my desk was buzzing constantly from the Private Message email updates.  I remember looking at my inbox and refreshing it and there would be a message... so I would reply... then I would refresh and there would be a response... haha... so I sent a message asking if Osirus had AIM, so we could converse in even more real-time.

If you can't tell... I love to talk about this whole B-school process... I mean DUH I'm writing a blog, but Osirus loves to talk about it too!  It's great when you connect with someone who is as fanatical about the same thing that you are, as you're both going through it together.  If we were in the same city we would have undoubtedly met already.  In our case Osirus is in the Midwest... cold cold midwest!  Osirus gets to work much earlier than I but when I sign onto AIM we just pick up where we left off the day before.  I know my friends and coworkers are relieved now that I don't have to talk their ear off about everything I'm feeling/going through. 

I've even put Osirus in contact with one of my friends who is in an MBA program currently to ask my friend some questions about the program.

Sidenote - I do know Osirus' real name hahaha, but I haven't told him or her that I'm giving a shout out on my blog, so I've refraining from using the name.

Study Update

Ok so that's that... now onto studying...so I had my 5th class on Tuesday.  Let me tell you... these weeks are going by FAST!  I took last week off from studying for 2 reasons...  1.) my brain needed it 2.) I needed to post... not going to lie about that... So cut to tuesday during my class and I hadn't done the work.  I know I know I'm supposed to be dedicated and ALL THAT JAZZ (see how I weaved in a song title from the Motion Picture - Chicago - the title of the post?  cute right?) but I desperately needed a break.

So needless to say on Tuesday I was behind... the Quant topic was Word Translations.  I think I took the appropriate week off because we didn't have to read the whole Study Guide for class this time.  So basically for the next class I need to just add two more chapters to the 4 or 5 that were required for the last class.  It won't be so bad.  I need to make sure I get through them because these types of questions are unavoidable on the GMAT.  No worries though...  

School Visit Update

Last but not least - I'm preparing to plan my trip up to visit Dartmouth Tuck!  You want to talk about excitement?  Let's talk about that!  I'm going to take the Dartmouth Coach up to the school.  This is great because it departs from the Yale Club down by Grand Central Station.  The coach leaves at 1:30, so I can put in 1/2 day at work and leave my office at 1 and be down there in time!  I was planning on going up to Hanover, NH on the 24th of March and staying until the 26th.  As I was looking at the event offerings I saw that they have a class visit option on the 26th, which is a Friday.. meaning I would go up on the 25th.  I'm baffled by this because I didn't think that MBA programs had classes on Fridays.  When I get the email back from the admissions office I'll see if that's a better day for me to go up.

It seems as though the days events are very similar to that of Yale.  I would visit a class...then go to Lunch...then take a campus tour... then there's an admissions Q&A.  Now if you remember I took the train up to Yale in the morning and came home the same day and was back at my apt by 7pm.  Dartmouth on the other hand is a trek.  7 hour bus ride... shuttle to my hotel... because I cannot afford to stay in the Hanover Inn which is literally across the street from campus but is uber expensive.  I'll be staying in the Courtyard Marriott 3 miles away.  Since the bus schedule to and from is so infrequent I will be staying over for two days.  We'll see what transpires on that Friday evening if I do go up on Thursday the 25th.

I'm going to end abruptly because it's 3:07 and I have a podcast to listen to.

arrivederci!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012 · museodeartecarrillogil , All rights reserved | Proudly Powered by