Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Calling All Waitlisters


I can't imagine how people feel right now who have been on the waitlists at different schools right now.  I guess I don't really have to imagine it because I have many friends who are on the waitlists at different schools.  So I'm going to write this post for all of you guys still on the waitlist.

I want to tell you that there is hope!  After speaking with many people who had been admitted to multiple schools and even gave deposits to multiple schools... I now realize that now is the time when they start turning down the spots, which means that spots will be opening up shortly!  I actually want to write another post (maybe tonight because I'm bored) about a common characteristic that I see among those who are turning down offers from schools.

I'm not quite sure what the protocol is for those who are on the waitlist.  I've spoken to my friends and they say that they're sending updated GMAT scores, updated recommendation letters, updated resumes if they've gotten a promotion etc etc.  Sounds very ANNOYING in all honesty, but then again this whole process if very annoying!  My suggestion is that if you are one of those people on the waitlist - find out what the school's recommendations are.  

For example - from what I know a school like Wharton does not want any additional information! Some people say that this is when legacy candidates come in to play and people start pulling strings and making calls behind the scenes.  Now while I do not doubt that this occurs, I'm sure that the policy is Wharton's way of trying to keep things very objective.  ::shrugs::  I didn't apply to Wharton so I haven't done any research...

If the school that you're on the waitlist for does want updates from you I would probably research out to current students to find out how often one should update.  I mean you should never be emailing once a week...you must respect the admissions officers time.  They can't read an update from every waitlisted applicant every week.  They're honestly very busy trying to get the candidates that they've accepted to enroll at their school to protect those yield numbers.  The conversations my friends have said they've had with admissions folks are funny to me now whereas five months ago I would have thought differently.

So to you waitlisted applicants I say... just hang in there.  May is essentially the last month that students have to turn down options.  Deposits are due very soon.  Although in some cases some people have deposits waived, so if they do decide to turn down a school it's not much of a loss from their bank account.  You'll always have those one off instances though.  But yes... May will be the last hoorah I think.

Don't get discouraged just yet... but also...don't quit your job just yet!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012 · museodeartecarrillogil , All rights reserved | Proudly Powered by