Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Still Living the Dream!



Hello everyone!  I wanted to give a quick update as to some important events that have occurred these last 7 days.

First - Last Wednesday I stayed late at work to take a class at General Assembly called Deconstructing iOS.  It was a class about Apple's iOS software and how best to create mobile applications that adhere to the Apple UI guidelines.  The reason that I decided to take the class after work is because I'm trying to develop an idea that I have.  Who knows, maybe this blog will turn into how I created a start-up after business school and became a billionaire!

Second - After the class, I went to meet two of my friends from MLT.  I say from MLT but in reality,  I know one of them from 2009 when we attended an NYU Starn Marketing Weekend as prospective students!  We've come a long way since then!  In any event, I met them down by Union Square as they were finishing up dinner.  We sat and chatted for about 20 minutes.  She now goes to Duke and here is the post from when she got in.  My other friend goes to Columbia.  He was actually my roommate at CTLS last year around this time.  I think I wrote a blog post about CTLS.

Third - After meeting them for a quick chat, I went to the West Village to meet up with one of my best friends from school and one of his friends who also went to Columbia.  I sat with them for drinks and just talked about everything under the sun.  He was very interested in learning about my experience at General Assembly.

Fourth - On my way back from NYC to my house in New Jersey, I was on the bus wearing my CORNELL hat!  I find myself always wearing Cornell apparel because I always seem to run into someone who went to Cornell either as an undergrad or graduate.  There's an immediate sense of camaraderie when this happens that I wonder if it's unique to Cornellians.    So yes, I was sitting on the bus with my hat and I turned my hear to look out the window.  As I did this, I see someone notice my hat and then say "Did you go to Cornell?"  I said that I am currently a student at Johnson and he replied excitedly with, "I'm in Dyson now!"  For those of you who don't know, Dyson is the name of the undergraduate business school at Cornell.

We started talking about how we missed Ithaca and what not.  He then asked if I knew someone by the name of XXXXXX.  It was funny because he prefaced it with, "You probably don't know this person but do you know....."  I said, "I probably do know them because it's a small school."  So he said the person's name and to no avail I did know the person. The person is/was a 2nd year.  Apparently they had a class together in the business school.  After chatting for a couple of minutes, I told the student that he should give me his email address so we could keep in touch.  He was happy to do so, so I emailed him last night.

Fifth - The weekend was an interesting one because it was one filled with me introducing my business school friends to my non-business school friends.  On Friday, I was in Morristown, New Jersey because I have a classmate who is interning and living there.  I also have an undergraduate roommate who lives and works in Morristown.  I wanted to introduce them so that m b-school friend would at least have someone to go out to the bars with this summer when he isn't in the city.  When we got to my Undergraduate classmate's house my b-school friend said "I want to know everything there is to know about Richard from undergrad."  So the night had a lot of reminiscing going on!

Sixth - On Saturday, I was back in the city for a friends birthday.  We were staying in a hotel in Soho and were partaking in some libations before we went out.  As we were getting ready, I was inviting my business school friends to come out with us.  It was interesting to see things come full circle.  There were about 20 of us in the hotel room and there was at MOST 1 degree of separation between everyone.

- So some of my friends who came had met my business school friends when they came up to Ithaca for my 30th birthday.
- Some of my business school friends had met my other friends from other business schools during the Reaching Out MBA conference back in May.
- Some of my business school friends had met the brother of one of my Sternie (NYU STern) friends when said brother stayed with me in Ithaca for his interview.

It was all very surreal.  Everyone got along especially well!  <3 them all!

Okay it's 6:50am and I have to catch the bus and head to the city.  Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012 · museodeartecarrillogil , All rights reserved | Proudly Powered by