Thursday, July 22, 2010

Michigan Ross: Pre-1st Year Student Interview!

Good Morning Everyone!  I have another treat for you guys this time around.  I know that many of us are still battling the GMAT at this juncture, but I wanted to post something that provides a little insight into the months Post-Admission but yet Pre-Matriculation for an MBA student.

With all of the information available out there, I think these couple of months are not discussed very often.  I am curious as to what one does during these months, so I got an idea to well... ask someone!  I was speaking to my friend Jonathan yesterday, whom I've spoken about many times, and decided to send him a "couple" ;-) of questions regarding these specific months.  

Jonathan is one of my friends I've mentioned before who will be attending the University of Michigan's Ross School of Business this coming fall.  I'll let him tell you all about himself but I will say that Jonathan is AMAZING in that he scored in the 99th percentile on the GMAT!

This is a long post, I won't apologize because I know you guys will read it all.  In order to get the most out of this post you should, Go refill your coffee, Close your office door, and Commit to reading the whole post!



1. How did you and I meet?

We met in the New Haven train station.  I had just completed my interview at Yale SOM, and you were visiting the school.  Being well-organized pre-MBAs, we had left plenty of time to catch our trains.  Coincidentally, we also hung out in the train station with two folks who will be joining me at Ross in the fall.

2.  What did you do prior to b-school?

After graduating from college in 2006, I worked for four years at a mid-size health communications and technology company in the Washington, DC area.  For the first two years, I assisted the CEO of the company with day-to-day management of multidisciplinary teams developing software products under government grants and contracts.  For the last two years, I served as product manager for a quality improvement and outcomes management tool for the providers of behavioral health services. 

I loved the work, but I realized that managing only one product was becoming limiting.  I am passionate about helping public and social sector organizations solve the strategic challenges that prevent them from delivering effective and efficient services.  The product that I worked on did that to a degree, but I wanted to work on a broader range of challenges.  That goal led me to apply to b-school with an immediate post-MBA career goal of entering management consulting.

3.  Walk us through the day that you received the email/letter/phone call of admission to Ross.

It took me totally by surprise!  It was about four or five days before the official notification deadline for R2, and I had just gotten into the office in the early afternoon after attending a conference in the morning.  My work phone rang.  The 734 area code seemed vaguely familiar, but I couldn’t place it.  I assumed that it was a customer calling and picked up the phone.  I was very excited when the admissions officer on the other end told me where she was calling from!  After a pleasant but brief conversation (they have a lot of phone calls to get through), I hung up, called my parents, told my colleagues, and then tried (unsuccessfully) to focus on work the rest of the day.  My birthday was the next day, and my admission to Ross was a fantastic gift.

4.  What is the admitted students weekend called?  When was it?  Was that what sealed the deal for you in deciding to go to Ross?  Why?

All the cool kids call it “GBR.”  But the official name of Ross’s ASW is “Go Blue Rendezvous.”  Although it may be the first time that you hear the phrase “Go Blue!” as a Michigan student, it is far from the last.  GBR was in mid-April, about one month after the Round 2 notification date. 

GBR was an extremely fun, somewhat exhausting, and overwhelming compelling case to enroll at Ross.  Of course they hit all of the expected bases – the classroom experience, the career development program, the housing options, the financial aid details, the best Ann Arbor bars, etc. 

What really stood out, though, was the strength of the Ross community.  A huge number of current Ross students went out of their way to plan or participate in GBR.  Several reached out individually to me before GBR arrived to answer questions and share information.  One “Ross Ambassador” knew his classmates well enough to connect me with one who had just secured a full-time consulting position very similar to what I will be seeking.  Another student organized an informal reception in her apartment for pre-MBAs who shared her interest in organizational strategy.  It was so clear that they loved being Ross students.  They didn’t just want us to choose Ross, they wanted to help us begin a Ross experience that was as much fun as their own.

Many folks talk about how cool the Ross building is (and it is!), but what really impressed me about it was how seamlessly it supported the school’s action research teaching model and its values of trust and collaboration.  The building’s many collaborative work spaces create an environment that promotes formal work, impromptu exchanges, and socializing.  It is the physical embodiment of the school’s distinguishers. 

What was most exciting about GBR was seeing how happy current students were at Ross and how faithfully the school environment lived up to the way that Ross portrays itself.

5.  Was it painful writing that deposit check or a sigh of relief at that juncture?

In comparison to the full cost of tuition, it was a drop in the bucket.

6.  Did your job know you were applying to business school?  If not, how did you break the news to them that you were accepted and would be leaving?  If they did know, how did you decide when your last work day would be?

I was upfront with my employer about my plans.  Although there are plenty of things that I would do differently if I were going through the application process again, I would try to replicate this aspect of my approach.  It was good for my employer and for me.  We were able to plan and implement a smooth personnel transition that aligned with our strategy for the product that I managed, I was able to ask my boss and a customer to write recommendations for me, and I didn’t have to feel any anxiety about studying for the GMAT in my office (after hours!) or breaking the news.  I know that not everyone can be as open as I was, but I strongly recommend it if it’s possible.  If your boss is even somewhat enlightened, he or she will appreciate the time to plan ahead.  Even more importantly, there are enough things to get stressed about while applying without having to sneak around!

I gave a lot of thought to the question of when to stop working.  I used the promise of some time off as a motivator for myself when I was studying for the GMAT and writing essays.  So, I wanted to make good on that promise and reward myself.  I also balanced the following factors: 

a) having enough time off to see my family, travel abroad, and arrive in Ann Arbor relaxed and focused,
b) having some time in DC after quitting work to pack up and say goodbye to friends,
c) drawing as many paychecks as possible, and
d) having enough time at work to train up my replacement. 

Ultimately, I chose July 2 as my last day, setting up the 4
th of July weekend a celebration of my independence from employment as well as our nation’s independence.  It ended up feeling like the right date for me.

7.  How did you prepare to essentially be salary(less) for a full year until your internship?  A lot in savings?

To be honest, I don’t feel fully prepared to go 11 months without a four-figure sum of money being deposited into my bank account every two weeks.  I did save as much money as I could for b-school, but I will still be taking out substantial loans.  Since b-school tends to attract students who have already been professionally successful and who plan on being professionally successful in the future, the adjustment to a student budget and lifestyle seems to be a common concern.  I am optimistic that the Ross experience will be so much fun and so much work that I won’t have the time or energy to worry about fine dining, weekend trips to Vegas, or any of the other ways that I’ve found to spend money over the last four years.  But we’ll see.  The good news is that b-school is significantly shorter than many graduate programs and has among the best ROIs.  Plus, they teach you budgeting as part of the curriculum ;)

More seriously, your question raises the broader issue of the sacrifices involved in going to business school.  During the application process, it is easy and perhaps even helpful to focus on the many exciting aspects of returning to school.  But once b-school stopped being an abstract goal and started being an imminent reality, I began to feel the attendant financial, professional, and social sacrifices more acutely. I realized that I was giving up over $200,000 in tuition plus foregone earnings, leaving a work environment that I really enjoyed, trading down in housing, and moving 800 miles away from some of my best friends.  I am very confident that the Ross experience and the opportunities it provides are well worth those sacrifices.  But I would encourage your readers to make sure that the unique sacrifices involved in any decision to get an MBA are worth it to them.  If you take a clear-eyed look at the sacrifices and then decide that the benefits outweigh them, you will be positioned to make a more confident and coherent case to MBA programs on why they should let you in. 

8.  Let's say your last day of work was July 1st and you classes don't start until September 1st (exact dates are irrelevant) - What does a pre-matriculated MBA student do for 2 months?

The easy answer here would be, “Whatever you want!”  To a degree that’s true.  The most popular activities among my fellow Ross 1MBAs seem to be travelling & relaxing.  I’ll be spending all of August abroad.  Ross has an awesome program called M-Trek, in which groups of incoming students travel together to destinations around the world in groups of about 8-10.  Each trip is planned and led by 3-4 rising 2MBAs.  Everyone who has done it says it’s a lot of fun and a great way to get to know fellow students.  I’m looking forward to doing M-Trek in Barcelona.  Before that, I will be travelling on my own in other parts of Spain and visiting friends in Israel.  Right now, I’m spending several weeks with my family in Los Angeles, which is something I haven’t had the opportunity to do since college.  I also spent two weeks in DC after stopping work to ease the transition.

Even though there is virtually nothing that you “have to do” during your summer, I am also doing some low-intensity prep for b-school.  I’ve attended a handful of formal and informal receptions, happy hours, and events for incoming Ross students (these are actually really fun), completed a career assessment, and networked with some recent alumni who work in consulting.  I’m also taking a course on MBAMath.com to bone up on the quant skills likely be called upon during 1MBA.

9.  You asked me earlier if I had ever heard of MBAMath.com.  Why do you feel it necessary to brush up on these Quant skills?

I think of MBAMath.com and similar programs as more of a comfort than a necessity.  Presumably, the admissions officers for competitive MBA programs only admit students whom they are confident can do the work.  However, I know that I have had significantly less day-to-day exposure to quant work than some of my fellow students.  Considering the full price of an MBA, $150 seems like a good investment if it means that I will walk into class on day one with an added layer of confidence.

10.  What do you know now about the whole pre-MBA experience, that you wish you knew prior to applying?

A lot.  Here are the things that stand out:
Program Diversity - I did not anticipate what great differences exist between top MBA programs in terms of curriculum structure, functional specialties, culture, signature classes/experiences, industry/recruiter relationships, and even grading systems!  I wish that I had started researching schools earlier and been more selective in applying only to schools that were good fits for me.
Application Workload.  If you do your applications the right way, they will take a long time.  It is essential to tailor each application in order to present the aspects of your narrative that best match the school’s unique qualities.  If you can’t make a compelling case for a good match with a particular school, you may want to consider whether you are in fact a good match and whether your ~$200 application fee might be better spent elsewhere.

How Early to Start - The above two points suggest this third one.  I wish that I had been more systematic in keeping track of b-school’s local events, planning campus visits, and reaching out to current students.  It’s hard to do all that while working at a full time job, and no one can do it all.  But those are themselves arguments to start as early as possible.

How Good Admissions Officers Are - This is easy for me to say now that I know where I am going to school in the fall, but I think that the schools that I applied to did a good job of figuring out whether I would actually be successful and happy in their programs.  I think that at least one or two of my rejections were actually blessings in disguise.

As a bonus, here’s one thing that I did know before I applied that I’m glad I knew:
Why I was applying.  Truly understanding why you want to go to business school, why now is the right time, and what you plan to do with an MBA are invaluable.  This insight into yourself will not only make selecting schools and writing applications easier, it will allow you to dive into the b-school experience from the moment that you’re admitted.

11.  When I come to visit Ross can I stay with you?  ;-)

Of course!  As long as you quit smoking by then.

If you have further questions just leave a comment, and I'm sure Jonathan will be happy to answer them! I'll post his replied in the comment box!

If you'd like to read more about the day I met Jonathan at Yale... click here:  http://bit.ly/YaleSOM

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012 · museodeartecarrillogil , All rights reserved | Proudly Powered by