Monday, October 11, 2010

NYU Diversity Conference Day 2

Sorry to write this post so late, but things have been hella crazy and I'm going to write all of the blog posts tonight in order to catch up.

So first thing's first... This blog post is about Day 2 of the NYU Diversity conference...

The first item on the agenda was breakfast!  You know I love me some free food!  I got to the Kaufman building and went into the reception area.  I said hi to a couple of newly found friends and got my food and sat with three other prospective students and chatted with someone on the admissions committee.  It was very informal even though we were all dressed formally for the AHBBS conference later.  The conversation with the admissions officer wasn't all about school and such, but it was also about life in general.  Every one of the admissions staff is very nice and hospitable.  Also... they are "regular" people who just happen to hold people's fates in their hands!  ;-)  But no it was a great conversation... and then I was talking with another guy who tapped me on the shoulder on Day 1 and mentioned that he reads my blog!  (Hi N_____ if you're reading this).

He and I were exchanging war stories about the application process and different campus visits we've attended.  It's nice to hear all of my thoughts echoed by others.  ESPECIALLY about how expensive the process is!

In any event, after the breakfast it was time to go to a mock class.  We were split into two groups.  Group A (my group) attended a mock economics class and Group B (not my group) attended a management class.  Sidenote - economics is called Firms & Markets at Stern.  So the professor was Professor Askor and yeah the list of his credentials is very long!  Being an economics major in college I was excited for this class.  Maybe excited isn't the operative word, but intrigued at how it would be different from my undergraduate class.

We played a game during the class illustrating how markets are formed where he split the class into two groups and handed out envelopes with a price on it.  One group was the buyer group and the other group was the seller group.  We had to buy 1 unit of "something."  So long story short... I had $200... so when a seller yelled out that they would sell 1 unit for $80 I said... "I'll buy it for $80"  Now that person selling for $80 probably made money on the transaction if they had a $60 unit.  But I didn't care because I made $120, so my margin was higher than theirs.  We didn't actually find out which group won at the end but we did see the transaction price converge around $100, which was the goal.  Supply and Demand baby!

After the mock class we went to the AHBBS conference.  The lunch was great and was in the student center.  Here is a picture of the view from the student center...


Sitting at the table was good times.  It was weird because somehow everyone at the table of say 8/9 people knew everyone or someone that someone else knew in some capacity.  Yeah I know that's a lot of one's, someone, etc etc blah blah you know what I mean.  Picture a scene out of a movie (i don't know what movie) where someone says "oh i'm from X" and then someone else says "Oh Do you know so and so?"  and then they say "yeah... we did such and such together..." and the other person says "yeah I met him/her at such and such while we were doing such and such..." and then someone else says "did i hear you say you were at such and such place?  i know someone who was there... do you know so and so?"  and the other person says "Omg yes! i met him/her when I was there and then we all did this...we lived across the hall from one another!"

But yeah that's practically how lunch went and then it was time to go to the ABBHS conference.  Long story short there were 8 speakers talking about diversity in the workplace and how to navigate it and be successful.  There were many great takeaways from this conference, which also included current students.  All in all it was about 5 hours.

After the conference us prospectives into another room so we could ask question about financial aid and admissions.  Now I will say that the group of people I was in had great questions.  Many of which I would not have come up with myself.  T'was very insightful!

Then it was on to the happy hour!  If the drinks are free guess what... I'll take three!  I didn't really take three but I did have two!  While walking over I was talking with another prospective student who said he reads my blog too!  When we got to the bar we were talking about how we would see one another again at the Cornell diversity conference in a couple weeks!

Apparently, there was another after party at another bar later and I was debating on whether or not to go to that but decided against it.  I actually met a friend uptown at a bar near my apartment, and then headed over to Therapy to meet two other prospective students because we wanted to go to hhmm how shall I say it?  A bar with familiar surroundings!  ;-)  This bar is a staple in Hells Kitchen (area I live) and true to form, I ran into some friends who were hanging out, so we sat with them and danced and drank.  I cut myself off because I knew I had an early morning and did not want to feel crappy.

Of course we ended up at a diner but I was in bed by 2am and not drunk at all - thankfully!

Ok... time to write Day 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012 · museodeartecarrillogil , All rights reserved | Proudly Powered by