Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cornell Johnson Interview - Yay!

So you know how sometimes you just feel when something goes well?  That's the case with my Cornell interview.  I'm back on the bus now but I felt that my interview was smooth and perfect.  I was cool calm and collected and was at ease the whole time.

Did I research questions that I thought I would be asked?  Yup sure did, I mean they're out there so why not right?  I didn't type up answers or anything like that though.  I just read through them and thought of stories or anecdotes that I would use.  I didn't even do too much of this because I didn't want to sound too rehearsed because then if I was thrown off my game it would not have a good outcome.  People were asking me if I was nervous at all and I made sure that I was prepared to the point where I would experience a little nerves.  I know how I operate and a little bit of nerves keeps me on my toes, so that's what happened.

My interviewer did not throw any curveballs at me.  Sure there were some questions that I had to pause for, but that's fine because I was simply collecting my thoughts.  What's my definition of Leadership?  Sure didn't think I would be asked that but I mean I have my own definition and here it is.  I didn't say that exact phrase but that's what went through my head.  No biggie.

What surprised myself is that I was making connections to things that I didn't even know I had in me... it's hard to explain but I guess it's a function of being in a different mindset 4 months ago versus now even though I've had the same story ya know?  I think my interview showed how genuine I was which is what I wanted to convey and why I'm glad I took the trip up to Ithaca.  I always said that if I just got an interview I know I can do well.  Which brings me to my next point...

If you can interview on Campus DO SO!!!!  I heard a story about someone from Peru who flew in to visit campus, from Japan, and from India.  I know the guy form India was visiting because he was waitlisted from R1 - we were sitting in the admissions office together.  So there are people who are traveling from every corner (there are no corners) of the Earth, so my little measly 5 hour trip back to NYC was nothing compared to these folks.  Just keep that in mind that you may not want to take a 5 hour trip up to Ithaca or Hanover, or a 2 hour flight to Michigan etc etc... but there are people gunning for that same spot that you want and they/we are taking those trips and interacting with folks at the schools.

You may think "oh... I just need to visit"  well no... interact... I mean think about it... Me...someone who just left Ithaca and was int he admissions office for all of 10 minutes has heard about that prospective student who flew from Peru to visit, last week I think.  So people are still talking about that prospective from Peru and the one from Japan weeks after their departure.  Do you think that person will be memorable?

You be the judge... I've said my piece.... go visit!  I'm going to take a nap because this baby is crying on the bus!  Peace Peace

Oh sidenote - my friend got a Full Ride to Cornell!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012 · museodeartecarrillogil , All rights reserved | Proudly Powered by