Sunday, January 16, 2011

Random Topics Out of Boredom



In my non exciting post submission life all I do is wonder what's going to happen to me in the next couple of months.  There's nothing I can do at this point as we all know, so I'm going to stop saying that.  I have a lot of spare time and still haven't fully gotten used to it.  I really haven't!  Remember a year of this process keeps you pretty busy.  So yeah I'm still getting used to "Oh I don't have anything to do."  anyway whatever...

I have a couple of things that I'd like to write about today as I'm watching the Golden Globes.

1.  After practically staying up for 48 hours preparing to submit my application on the 5th, I found out today that The Consortium has extended the R2 application deadline to February 1st.  Imagine that... 26 more days for someone to submit their application!  I'm glad that I got my application submitted but I wonder if it would have been a "better" application had I had an extended deadline.  And to that... I say MOST DEFINITELY!  The reason being I would have had time to retake the GMAT one last time.  The main reason I did not take it again was because there was no guarantee that it would have been added to my application.  I did not want to rush to study again and not be fully prepared.  But that's the way the cookie crumbles I suppose right?  Everything happens for a reason so if it was meant to be... it will be!

2. On Friday night I called up my buddy (Osirus) to vent.  I had been drinking so I don't remember exactly what all was said, but I do remember being very pessimistic with regards to my b-school chances.  I just keep hearing about all of these stories from people with better stats than me and they're being rejected.  I know that maybe they didn't have the best essays or best stories, but when you're comparing yourself to other people you never really compare the things you did better than them.  You compare their strengths to your weaknesses and ignore the rest.  In my case I know my weaknesses and hope that all of the admissions committee "get me."  I feel that if they "get" the application that I've submitted, then March won't be as depressing as I have it mapped out to be in my mind.  But then again this is just a natural head game that people play with themselves after they've submitted.  Actually that's a lie.  I'm the only one of my friends that's playing this game with myself.  My other friends are cool calm and collected.  We shall see the outcome!

3.  I just read this article on Poets & Quants titled: Should You Use MBA as a Suffix?   If you don't feel like reading the article it just basically talks about how some people put MBA on their business cards and stuff like that.  It seemed like a lot of people graduated from non-prestigious MBA programs.  I posted a comment that said

"This reminds me of a blog post I wrote “An MBA Degree makes me a what?” If I get into school I will not be using those three letters on my business card. I don’t think it has any business there. One’s accomplishments as a result of the knowledge gained from the MBA degree is a better differentiator than the degree itself."


What do you all think?


4. Here is something else I read earlier today about an account of a B-School Minority.  Interesting read and it's sad that these things still occur.  The article gives examples of the naivety of the blogger's professors in business school with regards to his ethnic background!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012 · museodeartecarrillogil , All rights reserved | Proudly Powered by