Thursday, January 13, 2011

Your Story w/ a Deck of Cards

A couple of minutes ago I was outside killing my lungs and I thought of what I could equate the business school application process too.  It's a lot like playing poker with your friends except your friends are your potential classmates and people whom you beat out.

Think of it like this, every card is a piece of your story.  So the Ace of Spades could be an event that was very life changing and important and a 3 of clubs may just be something that happened in your life that you think may not have meant much.  In trying to analyze why some of my friends are accepted to certain schools and others are not I keep telling myself "ok their story may not have been cohesive."

What I think happens is that people hold their hands and look at their cards and see an Ace and tries to run/win with that.  So if they're lucky they'll uncover another Ace upon further introspection and then they have a pair of Aces.

When in actuality the person who may have the 3 of clubs and then builds on that with the 4 of clubs, 5 of clubs, 6 of clubs, and 7 of clubs = a straight flush, builds a more compelling story for the admissions committee.

So now you have a pair of Aces (AA) up against a Straight Flush (3,4,5,6,7)and we all know which hand is ultimately the better hand.  I think the Aces are supposed to be in your resume and the then you need to try to build a royal flush!  But if you end up with just a straight flush then that's fine too, as long as you're not ONLY competing against other royal flushes haha.

I'm delirious right now and don't know what I'm talking about... I'm going to watch Target: Inside the Bullseye.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012 · museodeartecarrillogil , All rights reserved | Proudly Powered by