Sunday, January 24, 2010

5'9 isn't short... or is it?

Hello Again Everyone!

I'm just going to jump right into it tonight....  here is the leaderboard:



I don't believe I updated you on my Friday and Saturday evenings...  well I stayed in.  I only left my apartment to get food...  I wanted to study all weekend, knowing that I had to take my first Manhattan GMAT (MGMAT) practice exam today.

My goal was a 600... now to refresh your memories, my ultimate GMAT score is a 710.  Yes I bumped it up from a 700, because with my luck if I aim for a 700 I'll get a 690 and start cursing in the testing center..

I'll get to how I did in a second...  the book that I was going through this weekend was the PowerScore Critical reasoning Bible.  My goal was to get through this book before Tuesday, because that's when my Class starts, but in order to do so, I would have to get through 150 pages tomorrow night.  I can tell you right now that that's not going to happen.  I underestimated the time it takes to get through Critical reasoning.  I find myself having to take more breaks while going through this book.  It's mentally draining.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about... Critical Reasoning gives you a paragraph.. and you have to answer a question based on the information given... so a question could look like the one below with 5 answer choices that follow:

Each of the following, if true, would help to resolve the apparent discrepancy above EXCEPT:

So you can see how after reading a couple chapters of language like this... you can develop a severe headache.  But yeah so that was my weekend...

So like I said previously... I took my first practice exam today...  my goal was a 600 and I got a 590.  This is where the title comes from get it?  haha  5'9 = 590...  so this goes back to why I increased my target to 710.. this seems to be the case with me.. always ending up SHORT on exams.  Even the SAT's... my goal was a 1300 and I got a 1280.

I was pleasantly surprised with the 590 because during the exam, I felt like I was getting every single question wrong.  As you know from this blog, the last month or so has been dedicated to the Verbal section.  I know that I'll be able to increase my Quant score once I begin seeing the questions again.  I was nervous for Verbal and wanted to focus on that.  Turns out I surprised myself, because my split was the same 37/37.  If I get this split in April I'll be devastated... but it's only January and it was my first CAT (computer adaptive test) ever.

At first I was thinking about not taking it... because I didn't think I was prepared, but then I remember that people say to get the first one over with, so you know how much work you have ahead of you.  Well this was good advice.  I now know that this road is going to be long and arduous.  That's alright though... I can do it!  The kind people over at MGMAT recommend that you come into the first class having completed one of the CAT exams, to establish your baseline.  So to that I say... CHECK

My MGMAT class begins on Tuesday - I've done all of the preparation that I can do for now... I'll see how much homework I get from the class before deciding whether or not I'll continue through the PowerScore CR Bible in conjunction with the class.  I may hold off until afterwards...

It's 9 weeks, so this is when my life becomes non-existant.  I have a lot of work to do before this exam.

I thought I had more to say... but I guess not!  Until next time...  love, peace, and happiness
Notecard Count = 129 (notecard count was 117... so I added 12 from tonight which is a 10% notecard increase)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012 · museodeartecarrillogil , All rights reserved | Proudly Powered by