Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Caught in a Bad Romance...

So you ask why I chose this Title for the post?

Well..."I wrote a song about it.. like to hear it?  here it goes" (sidenote - if anyone can tell me what famous TV show that quote is from you'll get a prize!)  Anyway... as I sat on my bed, by my window studying with my window open... a car drove by blasting Lady Gaga - Bad Romance... at first I thought to myself "it's 1 a.m. turn that down!" then I just started bopping my head and singing the paragraph that I was reading... of course that wasn't enough so I had to  take a hiatus and throw on the song for some inspiration.

So I'll get into my studies tonight, because this should go fairly quick.  So tonight... I Studied for 2 hours!      I practically got yelled at when I signed onto Facebook because my other friend interrupted me.  Ms. Harris...I am calling you out!  Why are you all up in my business?  Am I not allowed a break every once in a while - I MEAN DAMN!

B-School Inspiration - Tonight I was watching CNBC since it's Tech Week, and tonight's episode was about the AOL Time Warner break up.  I watched this and it reaffirmed my reasoning for wanting to go to B-School.  The downfall of this whole merger was that the CEO of Time Warner didn't understand the internet fully.  To his defense, no one really did at that point, although this was his thinking.  Time Warner relied heavily on a subscription based business model (HBO, Magazines, Cable), so he saw potential in AOL since it was all subscription based.

Now this would seem like a great idea, but what happened is that as the companies merged the AOL execs got the higher executive job functions.  So now what we had was a major company Time Warner, with it's many properties, being heavily influenced and run by these "Internet Folks."

The real issue came when those "Internet Folks" started telling the Time Warner folks how to sell advertising to make money.  Remember, at first AOL was making all of it's money from the subscriptions, but then the advertising dollars kicked in.  So once these "Internet Folks" started dictating to the traditional media folks how to sell advertising... things got messed up.

The whole reason for the merger was for AOL Time Warner to simply do business with itself, but this did not occur.  So as a result, stock prices fell....  then as people started migrating over to faster internet speeds that eliminated the need for AOL, well the rest is history.

So how does this fit in with my B-School aspirations?  Companies are getting excited and antsy about the internet again, thanks to Google/Apple/Microsoft.  In the future I would like to be in the boardroom when major decisions are being made.  Coming from a digital background, I feel that I have a phenomenal grasp on the history...and more importantly... the future trajectory.

It's time for these old heads in the C-Suites to peace out and make room for those who truly understand what they would be getting themselves into.

Tomorrow I have an MBA information session to attend and I'm paying for my MGMAT course... Update to follow....

Notecard Count = 66 (yesterday's was 53... so I added 13 from tonight which is a 25% notecard increase)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012 · museodeartecarrillogil , All rights reserved | Proudly Powered by