Monday, January 4, 2010

Who, Whom, Who Cares or is it Whom Cares? Damn It...lemme review that tomorrow

Hello All!

There is one thing I would like to say as I continue on this journey... as I write I'm going to insert different grammatical terms, this isn't to teach you guys (although hey.. never hurt anyone to learn anything right?), as much as it is for me to begin to notice these components when I write.

So contrary to popular belief I have gotten around to updating this today. I will be upfront about this and say that while I'm very adamant about it now, I won't be updating it daily in the future. (...in the future - is a prepositional phrase).

So just briefly about my day... went to work... then met some friends out at Therapy (bar - didn't drink though, I SWEAR) because one of them is going back to France tomorrow :-( I got home around 10:30 with the intentions of studying for 2 hours and then watching CNBC on Hulu, but of course that was derailed because of a heated AT&T/iPhone/Verizon/Palm (really? Palm?) discussion on Facebook.

...Sidenote - I got an A in my Introduction to Interactive Marketing class... was a good confidence booster!

Anyway, after I WON the discussion I went through my notecards, as I always do, before tackling the material for the night.

I went through a few more chapters of the PowerScore Sentence Correction Bible. The more and more I go through this book the more I realize how the GMAT test makers aren't really trying to trick you... they just want to see if you're paying attention. I will praise this book for the rest of my life because the explanations are genius! There was one question and explanation that really made me LOL...i couldn't ROTFL because I was laying in bed and that would have just been awkward and knowing me I would have broken something! (would have broken = future perfect) The explanation sounded like something I would write...But here's what I'm talking about...

This was about Noun Agreement:

Bill and Lissy believed that if they were coached every day and dedicated themselves to practice, their dream of becoming a professional skater could someday be a reality. [INCORRECT]

To some people this would sound correct, but it is in fact incorrect. The beginning of the explanation is: "How are Bill and Lissy, two people, going to combine together to be ONE professional skater? If they have a fantastic plastic surgeon, this sentence might be grammatically correct." ... now some people may be thinking - duh it's obvious that the sentence is incorrect - but ask yourselves if you would truly have gotten that correct. If you say yes, I don't believe you... well I would believe Sophia (yes girl you got a shout out... mainly to see if you're reading)... but most others would have to think about it.

If anyone is wondering the correct sentence is:

Bill and Lissy believed that if they were coached every day and dedicated themselves to practice, their dream of becoming professional skaters could someday be a reality. [CORRECT]

I have to review Relative Pronouns again tomorrow night... I didn't fully understand them until after I realized I got 75% or 3/4 of the practice problems wrong. No big deal, I'll just start with that chapter tomorrow...

Much Love To All, and to All A Good Night!
Notecard Count = 47 (yesterday's was 37... so I added 10 from tonight which is a 27% notecard increase)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012 · museodeartecarrillogil , All rights reserved | Proudly Powered by