Sunday, December 12, 2010

Business School Recommenders

Ironically... the day that I need to respond to a poster about why the quality of my posts has been declining... I find the time in my day to add a couple new posts!  Funny how things work out right?  Well I got through everything that I needed to get done this weekend, and I accidentally drank soda around 9pm so I'm wide awake right now!



So this week I have two meetings set up with my two recommenders.  If you remember back in... the summer I guess, I "Bagged a Recommender" and told my job I was applying to business school.  So the time has come for me to actually sit down with my VP of Marketing and my Manager.  I'll break down why I chose both of these people.

Why I Chose VP - Well for starters... she's the one who hired me.  There has been a lot of turnover in my marketing department, and I'm one of three people who have been there for two years and the VP is one of them.  She started a couple months before I did.  I even remember her asking me in my interview why I was interested in working for Bloomingdales.com and then I asked her why she chose to come here.  I figured that by choosing her as a recommender she would be able to speak to my accomplishments and characteristics from a perspective different from my manager.

Even though I didn't report to her directly, for a year my manager reported to her and I reported to my manager, the department was so small that there wasn't any real hierarchical (i love that word btw) difference and I could just walk into the VP's office to talk about whatever.  Then my manager left for another company and I reported directly to the VP for about 4 months (Feb - May 2010) and worked on a few projects with her directly.  She is also the person who I did my yearly review with because I didn't have a manager at that point.  She cosigned on everything my manager said, so she's been the one constant that I've had at work.  There is now a director of acquisition in between our VP and my Manager, so I'm more or less twice removed from her, but I do not foresee that being an issue.

I had enough foresight back in May to give her a heads up so she's been waiting for this meeting that I have set up with her on Tuesday.

Why I chose Manager - Well this is a no brainer for me.  You should have someone write at least 1 LOR (letter or recommendation) who you report to.  So I report to my manager, so she's writing me a LOR.  Easy Squeezy.  I'm going to see if I can find time on her schedule on Tuesday to go through everything and then I'll send them off on their merry little ways.

I will say that back in the summer I was going to have my old manager write my 2nd letter of recommendation because I hadn't worked with my new one long enough, but now that it's been 7 months and I have worked on many projects with her, she's the best person to be able to speak to my current ability.

So what am I going to talk about with them?  - Well I don't know if I've mentioned it before, although I think I have, but I have put together a Recommender Packet for each of them.  What's in this packet you ask?  Well at this point it's my little secret and after I hit submit I will tell the contents of the packet.  It's proprietary!  Ok it's not really proprietary, but I pooled resources from many sources and made this packet.  I will tell you that I am including my 1 year review.  I knew this time would come so I made copies of the review shortly after I had it.  So that will be 1 of 5 things in the packet.

So yeah that's Tuesday, so be on the look out for a post about how it went!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012 · museodeartecarrillogil , All rights reserved | Proudly Powered by