Friday, September 17, 2010

44Q tonight! Guess the first wasn't a mistake!

So today was/is a good day.

First on the agenda is a big congratulations to my friend.  She will not be taking the GMAT ever again!  She just took it for the 3rd time and did well!  Now I must follow in her footsteps!  I'll see your score and raise you _____!  ;-)   She's probably laughing right now as she reads that!

In any event, I can't wait until I'm completely done with this GMAT exam.  I seem to be getting closer and closer to that goal and it makes me smile!

Studying for the GMAT has no longer become a dreadful thing.  It's actually quite fun trying to figure out the intricacies of this exam.  I no longer study for 5/6/7 hours a day reading through material doing 1 problem here and 1 problem there.  Working with my tutor has been very beneficial, albeit expensive, but given the opportunity cost it's worth it.  Now when I study it's usually going over mistakes.  I know all of the information - for the most part - now it's a matter of putting it all together...getting faster...and refining my skills.

QUANT

Tonight I took another Veritas quant section and scored a 44!  I think I did a fist pump (I'm from Jersey so it comes naturally!) when I saw the score.  I pressed B for every verbal question so my final score was  a 460 lol, but when I found where the Quant score was I was very pleased.

Number properties is still my achilles heel, but I see that issue fading slowly but surely, although my tutor may disagree.  The next thing that I want to focus on in terms of my Quant score is getting it up to 47/48 consistently.

VERBAL

So yeah.... verbal... not a fan until I figure it out.  I know I'm on the verge of an epiphany but I'm getting anxious waiting for that EUREKA moment to arrive.  I think I've dialed in to what I need to focus on.  My problem is not that I don't understand the premises...I think that before in my prep I was so focused on figure out what the questions were asking and not so much the premises, but now I need to go back to looking into what the questions are exactly looking for.  

I had a discussion with Brandon today after I got my quant score.  He really wants me to take a full practice exam to see where I am this time.  I keep telling him "No... my tutor doesn't want me to do that yet."  I'm really putting a lot of faith into my tutor and I want to do things on my own, but hey you know what?  He just took the exam again and got a 780 when he was sick!  So who am I to override his suggestions?  My job is to simply do the work assigned, which is getting harder I might add.  

After I finish writing this post, I'm going to tackle critical reasoning again.  I'm going to try something different this time and underline the conclusions.  I know that obviously when taking the actual test, I won't be able to draw on the computer screen, but I think my problem is forgetting about the conclusion and then choosing answers that are too broad in scope.  So I'm going to see if this tactic works this go around!

Just a reminder - I will not be posting my exam date on my blog or any forums.  It will be a surprise because I don't want the added pressure of having people wishing me good luck and then thinking about them asking how I did - post exam.

I better get going because even though it's the weekend I still need to get some sleep as per my tutor!  I'm going to be posting a lot over the next couple of days because things are about to get uber hectic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012 · museodeartecarrillogil , All rights reserved | Proudly Powered by