Thursday, September 16, 2010

"Oh I went to Harvard Business School"

My last post seemed to resonate with a lot of people... Who knew that so many people felt the same thing I did when about to hit "Submit" for an application, whether it be their final application or a diversity application?  I didn't have a chance to write a post yesterday because it was perhaps the busiest day of my life!  I didn't even have time to eat until 11:30PM!

Of course I was rushing to get my Cornell Diversity application submitted before 11:59.  For some reason my Resume PDF was still opening in the incorrect format, so I was freaking out.  I use a Mac, so I had to find a friend who has a pc, which was very difficult.  I had to start facebooking friends I haven't spoke with in a while to see if they could help me out and open the pdf to see if it worked.  Inevitably, I got it completed and submitted.  Definitely a huge relief to have no more essays to worry about until my actual essays are due.

HBS Coworker

Today was an interesting day at work.  I had a seminar/meeting/workshop all day from 9am-6pm.  I was only at my desk for 15 minutes during our lunch break checking emails.  It was a dimensional personal skills workshop required by those who are on a track for only god knows what.  Not everyone goes, but certain people are invited.  Whatever the case may be I attended.  It basically dealt with the 4 quadrants and dealing with people who are Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4, where everyone strives to be a Q4 because they are collaborators and get things done.  

In any event, that's no the reason I wanted to tell you this story.  So during one session there was a comment made by a girl at my table and I said to myself "That was a response of an MBA graduate."  I wish I remembered the exact thing that she said, but I have only heard it recently as I go through this process.  So then later we were talking about what she did previously before Bloomingdale's and she said she was in I-banking and then went back to school.  I asked "Did you go to b-school?"  I mean granted that's the natural progression for someone in I-banking right?  She replied "Yes..." so of course my next question was "Where did you go?"  She said "Harvard."  I was taken back, but then put all the pieces together and could see how that was the case.  Then she pointed to another girl in the class and said that she went to Wharton.  

I told her that I thought she went to B-school because of what she said earlier and she laughed and said yeah... there's definitely a thought process one learns are HBS.  Then we started talking about my applications... .ehr experiences... $$$ that I-Bankers make... etc etc..  As I was on the bus coming home (I take the crosstown bus because then I don't have to walk 3 avenues from the subway), I was thinking of my next blog post for later tonight.  There's definitely this microcosm of MBA's and I feel as though I'm staring at the world through a bubble, anxiously waiting to pop it and become a part of that world.

For now though, I'm going to watch two episodes of House Hunters on hulu.com and then eat... and then study.  So until later folks!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012 · museodeartecarrillogil , All rights reserved | Proudly Powered by